Way back in the last century, I made my living as a writer for a few years. Here’s a selection of some work I did in college.
A collection of pieces from a 1991 writing course.
- …Rely on Them, modern miracles
- University Haze, smog as a metaphor
- Be Careful What You Wish For, beware adult-envy
- Specialization is for Insects, my rather strange career path
- People, Places, and Themes: travel and writing
- How I Write, why my house is clean
- Burglary, it’s just stuff
- An Interview on the First Day, from the other Gulf war
- Feet of Clay, thoughts on the flaws of our heroes
- Border Crossing, a verse written in San Diego around 1990
One of my favorite college writing workshops was focused on “short short” stories, exercises in very short fiction. I ran across an archive from a 1990 course. No great literature, here, but perhaps a bit of fun.
- For a Poet
- Housewarming (Elizabethan sonnet)
- Sorry (haiku)
- Morning After (haiku)
- Spring Break (haiku)
- Touch (tanka)
- Diplomacy (tanka)
- For a Grade (blues sonnet)
- Boyfriend (sestina)
- Body & Spirit
- Paper Scraps