I’ve started running out of space for my collection of 3D printer filament. I found this cool polished black PVC pipe on Amazon and printed some brackets to mount it on the wall. The spools nest out of the way between the pipe and the wall.

It turns out that this pushes the limits of what you can do structurally with PLA. It took several iterations to come up with designs that didn’t separate along layer lines or wobble horizontally or allow the screw heads to pull through the material. They might end up being some of the more expensive homemade shelf brackets ever, given that I used up nearly a kilo of PLA and dozens of hours iterating the design.

I like the look, though, and the final design seems to be quite stable.

The FreeCAD design files and mesh (.stl) files can be downloaded from Thingiverse.